Breakfast Smoothies – Fun with Food Friday
Welcome to this week’s Fun with Food Friday! (ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)
Check to see what Michelle at The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a
First Second Time Mom has cooked up this week!
Please check my archives for more delicious recipes!
This breakfast smoothie recipe comes from reader Shannon!
- orange juice (Shannon says she uses Tropicana. I only had Minute Maid concentrate, so that’s what I used)
- frozen bananas
- BarleyMax (a supplement from Hallelujah Acres)
Basically you just blend it all together! The amounts depend on how many you are feeding. We usually use around 3 frozen bananas and half a bag of spinach. You don’t need the BarleyMax, it just makes it extra nutritious.
I didn’t have any BarleyMax
, but I looked it up online and it looks like something I may want to get!
All the smoothies I have ever made include dairy products, so we’ve been avoiding them lately with the post-vacation
cold we all have, so this recipe was extremely welcome this week!
Katie loved this smoothie and drank more of it than any other smoothie I’ve made her, so it definitely has kid-approval!
Despite its green color, which may be disturbing to some, (my sister wasn’t too sure!) you can not taste the spinach at all and it didn’t add any strange texture!
What a great way to get more vegetables into your kids!
I love making, (and eating!) smoothies for breakfast, and here are some more ideas to mix and match to spice it up!
- yogurt (I prefer using Greek yogurt for its higher protein)
- fruit and/or vegetable juices
- eggs (preferably farm-fresh and/or organic since you’ll be eating them raw)
- frozen/fresh fruit of all kinds (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, peaches, bananas, cherries, pineapple, avocado, and more!)
- veggies of all kinds (raw spinach, steamed broccoli, and dozens more! Google “green smoothie” for more ideas!)
- ground flax seed
- coconut oil (see my review of Tropical Traditions’ coconut oil)
Please comment if you have ideas and recipes for smoothies that you love!
**********************We’ll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!
To encourage ya’ll to produce your tasty gems, I’m offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)
Just send the recipe(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org and add the 10 entries into the appropriate box on the giveaway entry form.
If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I’d love it if you’d comment with a link to it!