This hearty dish was sent in by reader Tamara S! You can make it in your oven or your crockpot, making it a versatile option for any day of the week!
The original recipe that Tamara sent me said to bake for 1 hour, (I did the oven version) but it took at least 2 hours for mine to be cooked through to where the lentils and rice weren’t crunchy anymore. Be sure to allow enough time! We also found the flavor a little bland, which makes me wonder if I measured something wrong, (a definite possibility with preggo-brain here.)
I had some fresh cilantro on hand, which we added and, for me, it made the dish. I love cilantro, and it seemed to complement these flavors perfectly!
- 3 cups broth
- ¾ cup lentils
- ½ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped green pepper
- ½ grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Mix everything together in 9×13 dish except for cheese.
- Cover in aluminum foil and bake at 300 degrees for about 2 hours. Remove foil and add cheese. Throw back in oven until cheese is melted.
- OR: Put it in the crockpot on low for 6 hours. Add cheese toward the end.
Thank you so much to Tamara for sending this in!
Check out my Fun with Food Friday co-hosts today:
Alesha at Full Time Mama with Twice Baked Potatoes and
Lindsey at Snozberryz with Crisp Coconut & Chocolate Pie! (oh my word!!)
If you have a recipe that you’d like to see featured on Mama Chocolate, please email it to email@example.com.
(You also get 10 extra entries into most current giveaways for sending me recipes!)
Linked up at Traditional Tuesdays at Cooking Traditional Foods!